Monday, October 19, 2009

Al Capone Does My Shirts (and Shines My Shoes...!)


This I guarantee: If you've read Al Capone Does My Shirts, you'll want to read Al Capone Shines My Shoes.
I love these books! (Can you tell??)
Just in case you don't already know - it's 1935, and 12 year old Moose Flanagan is living on Alcatraz Island with his father (a prison guard), his sister Natalie (autistic before autism was named or understood) and his mother (entirely and desperately focused on helping her daughter)...and, of course - Al Capone (who, yes, does his shirts...) The books deal with typical teen troubles - girls, baseball, girls, friendship, girls... not to mention, in book 2, an attempted prison break! Choldenko aims for, and hits, both the heart and the funnybone. By turns touching, heroic, and hilarious, these books are winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment