Monday, March 23, 2009

book clubs


This spring we'll be starting a few book clubs. We have one making its debut this Friday, with Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. That group is filled up, but anyone interested in starting another should speak to me.

Also, we've received the 8 Million Reasons to Read grant, and the school will be getting a number of outstanding nonfiction works. These have been chosen to great extent for their readability and high interest level. I'll post when they arrive, and list the titles. This
grant also involves putting together a non-fiction book club. The library will provide the books. Again, I'll let you know when I know for sure which titles we're receiving. And I'll be speaking to teachers about some extra credit for participants. (although the joy of reading should be sufficient motivation...) Let me know if you think you might be interested.

Today's recommendation: What I Saw and How I Lied, by Judy Blundell. It's a National Book Award winner - a coming of age novel replete with mystery, romance, and betrayal. This one grabs your attention and doesn't let go until the end, and afterwards you'll have plenty to think about. Really outstanding! (Cool cover, too!)

3 comments:

  1. I really think that the endgame was a very great book.And I have to admit that i actually cried(I'm a boy). If you look online many people cried, and its really like a realistic fiction book that really can happen. Anyways I think people should try this book, especialy if you've been bullied or are bullied in school, or even if you're just looking for a good book to read. If you like it tel us! Oh and i'm looking for another book to read anyone have a suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lois duncan writes pretty good suspense books
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Me, the Missing and the Dead, by Valentine, which was quirky & entertaining, or something by Nancy Werlin - she's more suspenseful & intense. Let me know if you like them or Lois Duncan, who, yes, is very good!

    ReplyDelete